Adele is to release the follow-up to 2011’s 21 mid-2014, according to The Mirror.
The tabloid reports the Oscar-winning singer started recording new material for her third album on Monday. The Sun had previously reported work was already underway with Simian Mobile Disco’s James Ford and Kid Harpoon, who has previously worked with Florence + The Machine and Jessie Ware.
An industry source told The Mirror: "Adele is currently in a recording studio in London and it’s in lockdown mode for the next few weeks. Four tracks are finished in terms of writing and she’s now laying down preliminary vocals with backing music and singers. The rest of the record will be done in LA. The feel is very much Adele going back to her roots, with some modern jazz and a couple of classic old songs."
The insider also told the paper the news means Britain’s Got Talent runner-up Susan Boyle may have to wait to release her fifth studio album in the States as the two singers are both signed to Columbia Records in the US, saying: "Both Adele and SuBo have done incredibly well and both are very important artists. While SuBo is still a big-hitter and there are high hopes for her next album, Adele is the priority."
The source revelead Adele and Boyle’s albums were scheduled to be out within weeks of each other but will now be released months apart.